From May 13 through May 17, 2019, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Radiation Sources Regulatory Partnership conducted a consultation at the National Regulatory Authority on Radiation Protection Montevideo, Uruguay. Ms. Diana Thompson, MS, CHP, RRPT and Mr. John Madera, MBA, CNMT provided a workshop with information and guidance for the Uruguayan National Regulatory Authority on Radiation Protection with the objective of strengthening their regulation of medical facilities conducting treatments of patients through the use of a Linear Accelerator and High Dose-rate Remote Afterloader brachytherapy devices. The topics covered included:
- Regulation, licensing, registration and inspection of Linear Accelerators
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of High Dose-rate Remote Afterloaders Facilities
- Importance and contents of Quality Management Programs and Linear Accelerator calibrations.
- A Team Project regarding regulation, licensing and inspection practices and gap analysis.
- Improvement Plan Development for regulation, licensing and inspection of the radiotherapy Facilities.
The five days were very productive, the Uruguayan National Regulatory Authority on Radiation Protection was left with recommendations for regulation, licensure and inspection program improvement.