From December 2-6, 2019, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s RSRP conducted a consultation with the Senegalese Authority for Nuclear Radiation Protection (ARSN). Mr. John R. Madera, provided a workshop with the objective of strengthening Senegal’s regulations of medical facilities conducting treatments of patients through the use of 4 linear accelerators and 2 high dose-rate remote afterloader brachytherapy devices (1 Cobalt-60 and 1 Iridium-192). The topics covered included:
- Regulation, licensing, registration and inspection of Linear Accelerators.
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of High Dose-rate Remote Afterloader facilities.
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of Cobalt-60 Teletherapy and Gamma Knife facilities.
- Importance of Quality Assurance testing and the elements of an effective Quality Management Program.
- Site visit to a local radiation therapy clinic.
- Class project identifying potential improvements to licensing and inspection practices.
- Recommendations for improving the regulations surrounding radiation therapy licensing and inspection.