From May 6 to May 10, 2019, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) Radiation Sources Regulatory Partnership conducted a consultation at the Paraguayan Radiological and Nuclear Regulatory Authority (ARRN) in Asuncion, Paraguay. Ms. Diana Thompson, MS, CHP, RRPT and Mr. John Madera, MBA, CNMT provided a workshop with information and guidance for the ARRN with the objective of strengthening their regulation of medical facilities conducting treatments of patients through the use of a Linear Accelerator and High Dose-rate Remote Afterloader brachytherapy devices. The topics covered included:
- Regulation, licensing, registration and inspection of Linear Accelerators
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of High Dose-rate Remote Afterloaders Facilities
- Importance and contents of Quality Management Programs
- A Team Project regarding licensing and inspection practices and gap analysis.
- Improvement Plan Development for Licensing and Inspection of the Radiotherapy Facilities.
The five days were very productive, the ARRN was left with recommendations for licensure and inspection program improvement including suggested equipment.