From August 5 to August 9, 2019, a consultation under the U.S. NRC RSRP was conducted at the National Commission of Energy (CNE) in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. Mr. John R. Madera provided a workshop with information and guidance for the regulatory authority at the National Commission of Energy (CNE) with the objective of strengthening its regulation of medical facilities conducting treatments of patients through the use of a linear accelerator or high dose-rate remote after loader brachytherapy devices. The topics covered included:
- Regulation, licensing, registration and inspection of linear accelerators
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of high dose-rate remote afterloaders facilities
- Importance and contents of quality management programs
- A site visit to a local radiation therapy clinic
- A class project reviewing licensing and inspection practices to identify potential improvements.
- Recommendations for improving the regulation surrounding radiation therapy licensing and inspection.
The five days were very productive; the U.S. NRC provided CNE with recommendations for changes to the regulation to improve the licensing and inspection programs.