From March 18 to March 22, 2019, a consultation under the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s RSRP was conducted at the Radiation Safety and Nuclear Security Authority in Port Louis, Mauritius. Ms. Diana Thompson provided a workshop with information and guidance with the objective of strengthening regulation of medical facilities conducting treatments of patients through the use of a Linear Accelerator and High Dose-rate Remote Afterloader brachytherapy device. The topics covered included:
- Regulation of Linear Accelerators and Teletherapy
- Licensing and Registration of Linear Accelerators and Teletherapy
- Inspection of Linear Accelerator, High Dose-rate Remote Afterloader, and Teletherapy Facilities
- Overview of High Dose-rate Remote Afterloaders
- Discussion and recommendations for overall improvement of the regulation of Radiotherapy facilities, Authorized Users, and Authorized Medical Physicists
- Action Plan Development for Licensing and Inspection of Existing and New Radiotherapy Facilities
The visit provided the Mauritian Radiation Safety and Nuclear Security Authority with a detailed plan that included a timeline for implementing objectives through the end of calendar year 2019.