From September 16-20, 2019, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission’s RSRP conducted a consultation with the Radiation Protection Authority (RPA) in Lusaka, Zambia. Ms. Diana Thompson, provided a workshop with the objective of strengthening Zambia’s regulation of medical facilities that treat patients through the use of Nuclear Medicine Technologies. The topics covered included:
- Regulation, licensing, and inspection of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Nuclear Medicine;
- Importance and contents of Quality Assurance Programs and calibrations;
- Transportation and disposal of Nuclear Medicine Materials;
- Iodine-131 patient restrictions and safe release;
- Onsite inspection of the University Teaching Hospital Nuclear Medicine Facilities and action plan for improvement; and
- Development of a plan for improvement of licensing and inspection of the Nuclear Medicine Facilities.